Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Welcome Tim Smith

It's Wednesday and I know how everyone feels about the middle of the week. I thought I'd liven things up a little with an interview, and a naughty excerpt from this author's brand new book. Here's the mysterious Tim Smith a fellow author for eXtasy Books:


1. How long have you been writing? What inspired you to pick the pen up one day and create characters that capture the imagination?

I’ve been writing since high school but didn’t become published until nine years ago. What inspired me to pen my first novel was a personal challenge. I’d had this story idea bouncing around in my head for years and one day I challenged myself to either write it or stop talking about it.

2.  What influenced you to get published? How long did it take? Can you tell us the name of your first published work?

My first published work was a romantic thriller, “Memories Die Last.” At first I wasn’t going to pursue publication, but after a few friends and family read it, they encouraged me to try.  It took me about six months to get published, because I didn’t want to self publish. I think self-publishing is a great outlet and I know many authors who have become successful that way, but I was fortunate enough to find a traditional publisher who wanted to take a chance on me.

3. What genre would you like to try that you haven’t yet?

I think I’d like to try my hand at a true crime story. All of my adventure mystery novels have current events at their core, but like most TV shows, the names are changed to protect the guilty. I also include a lot of real life events in my romance novels, and most of my characters are based on people I know – just don’t tell them!

4.  Most people envision an author’s life as being really glamorous. What’s your take on this? Can you tell us something unglamorous you did within the last week or so?

It cracks me up whenever someone assumes I’m going to quit my day job or that I have a villa in Jamaica. Most writers work for a living! It takes a lot of time and effort to grab a share of the market. There are some glamorous moments, like doing personal appearances and interviews, but I don’t think anyone gets into this business for the glory. I suppose the most unglamorous thing I did over the past week was fixing a slow drain in my kitchen. Do you think Stephen King unclogs his own drains? 

5. Plotter or pantzer?

Since I’m not sure what a “pantzer” is I’ll go with plotter. Coming up with a plot that hasn’t been overdone is the real challenge. There are only a handful of original ideas out there and the trick is to put a unique spin on your story.

6.  What do you do when you’re suffering writers block?

When I hit a brick wall I’ll stay away from the story for a few days. Since I usually have two or three projects in the works at one time, those brick walls don’t come along very often.

7.  What would you like to share with new writers? Any suggestions or advice?

If you have a story to tell that you really believe in, discipline yourself to finish it and if you want to be published, don’t stop trying until you get there. I’d advise anyone who wants to get into this crazy racket to hang out on book chat boards and see what everyone’s talking about. I’d also suggest getting your feet wet by writing some online product reviews and contributing to an author’s blog.   

8. Looking over the past year, what has been the best moment for you in your writing career?

I think the best moment was when I appeared at a book festival and someone told me they’d read all of my books and couldn’t wait to read my newest one. It doesn’t get much better than that.  

9. What do you enjoy doing with your spare time, your non-writing time? 

I’m a freelance photographer so I’m always shooting pictures. I’m also doing some home improvement projects. When I’m not doing those things I enjoy watching classic movies, especially film noir capers.

10.  If you could invite any famous person, dead or alive, for dinner, who would it be and what would you eat?

I’d invite Frank Sinatra for steaks on the grill and some Jack Daniels. Over dinner I’d ask him how he did what he did so well for so many years.

11.  What are you working on now? Can you tell us a little about it?

I’m revising my first novel, “Memories Die Last” in preparation for submitting it to my current publisher, Extasy Books. I’m also working on a follow-up to my most recent release, “The Bundle,” featuring the same lead character, Vic Fallon.

12. What kind of comfort food do you like best?

Homemade fried chicken with real mashed potatoes and gravy. If there any biscuits handy, bring them along.

13. What do you hope to achieve in life and when will you know that you have been a success?

  I hope to one day be a full time writer. I’ll know it’s happened when I see my book on a bestsellers list.  Maybe then I can get that villa in Jamaica, quit my day job and get someone else to unclog my drains.

Tim has offered up a tasty tease of The Bundle, his latest release with eXtasy:


“The Bundle” 
by Tim Smith
ISBN: 978-1-55487-827-7
Series: # Vic Fallon Mystery in series: 1
Cover Artist: Angela Waters
Heat Level:   
Number of Pages: 167
Categories: Contemporary, Suspense, Adventure, Romance


Blurb:

Vic Fallon had little use for the rich and famous when he was a cop, and his attitude hasn’t changed since he was forced to turn in his badge. When pop singer Kimberly Daniels returns to her hometown of Cleveland, Ohio to promote her latest album, Vic reluctantly agrees to be her bodyguard as a favor for a friend. He isn’t told that she has a death threat hanging over her head, with no shortage of suspects. The set-up takes a bizarre twist when her stalker shows up and Vic uncovers a family secret Kimberly would like to keep hidden. Things get more complex when they develop a strong attraction for each other, in spite of their different lifestyles. Can Vic ensure Kimberly’s safety until she returns to L.A., or will she decide to ditch her glitzy celebrity life and stay with the rugged ex-cop she’s fallen for?

Excerpt:

Vic took off his coat, tossed it on the bed in his assigned bedroom of the hotel suite then loosened his collar, removed his tie and contemptuously flung it onto the dresser. He slipped off his shoulder holster, hung it on the back of the chair at the desk and checked the safety on the Smith & Wesson .45. He took out the bottle of Passport scotch he’d brought with him, pouring some into a glass, followed by two ice cubes from the bucket. He eased himself into the padded club chair at the small cocktail table, stretched his legs in front of him and exhaled a deep breath. A day of mingling with the Tinseltown set left him wishing the job was over so he could return to his comfort zone.

He became aware of a presence and looked at the open doorway. Kimberly stood there, dressed in a pink velour jogging suit with her initials embroidered in red sequins on the left breast. She wore no shoes or socks. Her hair carelessly outlined her face, adding a degree of sexiness. Vic noted that the zipper on her top was halfway down, and she wasn’t wearing a bra. She offered a tentative smile that still retained a hint of shyness. 

“Do you always drink alone or would you mind some company?” she asked in a soft, husky voice.

Vic set another glass on the table and pushed the bottle toward her. She settled into the chair across from him, poured some Scotch into her glass and added ice. She took a long swallow then set the glass on the table.

“Won’t Pasta object to you drinking with the hired help?” Vic asked.

“Right about now, Pasta’s cruising the bars, looking for a cock to wrap his lips around.  Won’t see him until morning.”

Vic laughed softly. “That answers one question I had.”

Kimberly gave him a look of surprise. “You thought Pasta and I were…?”

“Uh-huh.”

She laughed at the notion. “I wouldn’t pass the physical, but you’d better be careful.”

“I’ll sleep with my gun under my pillow.”

Kimberly took another sip and looked at Vic with a sultry glow. “You’re not what I expected. When Evan said he retained an ex-cop to look after me I thought you’d be older, with a pot belly and no hair.”

“Sorry to disappoint you.”

“I’m not disappointed.” She took a small sip. “So what’s my celebrity ass worth these days, bodyguard-wise?”

Vic eyed her for a moment. “Does it really matter?”

She shrugged. “Guess not, as long as you’re not complaining.”

“If I have any complaints I’ll let you know.”


Bio:

Tim Smith is the author of seven novels, from thrillers to contemporary erotic romance. Two of his books have won awards and he’s an award-winning freelance photographer. He works as a case manager in the human services field, serving adults with disabilities. When he isn’t writing he can be found in The Florida Keys, indulging in his passion for para-sailing while doing research and seeking out the perfect Pina Colada. 


Tim's Website:  http://www.timsmithauthor.com/ 

2 comments:

Jude Mason said...

Hi Tim,

It's a real pleasure to have you here. So, fried chicken and mashed potatoes. I'm with you there.

Hugs

Maria D. said...

Thanks for the excerpt! Your book sounds very interesting.