Monday, August 31, 2009

Hunter's Light, available NOW

Hunter's Light
Book two in the Kindred Spirits Series
Jenna Bynes and Jude Mason

ISBN: 978-1-907280-00-9

Publisher: Total E-Bound

Genre: Paranormal/Gay


BUY LINK


A haunted lighthouse, a handsome keeper and one freelance writer with a penchant for ghosts keep things hopping at Whiskers' Seaside Inn.

David Sanderson arrives at Whiskers' Seaside Inn, excited by the prospect of investigating the local ghosts. He's a freelance writer with a keen sense of the supernatural and enthusiasm to spare. When the ghosts fail to make an appearance, David is directed to the Harbour Point Light, where an active spirit is known to exist. And one handsome lighthouse keeper.

Hunter Pierce isn't sure he wants someone writing an article about his lighthouse and the ghost who inhabits it. He lives a quiet, solitary life in his little house by the tower and doesn't relish the idea of tourists taking over the place.

Their priorities might clash, but David and Hunter mesh in all the ways that count. Can an intense physical relationship be enough? And are there more ghosts at the lighthouse than the captain? Someone doesn't like David hanging around. David vows to figure out why, and hopefully, in the process, figure out what to do with the new love he's found.

Reader Advisory: This book contains explicit scenes of m/m intimacy, voyeurism and some paranormal elements.

Excerpt From: Hunter's Light

David pushed open the driver’s door of the van, and heat struck him like a blast furnace. Sweat popped on his forehead. More gathered under his arms, trickling down his sides.

“Damn,” he muttered, climbing out and standing beside the vehicle. He stretched his arms over his head then wriggled his shoulders. It’d been a long drive, and he was glad to be at Whiskers’ Seaside Inn, even if he might bake before he got inside. He glanced at the building, a nice, two-storey affair set close enough to the ocean to gather any winds coming from that direction. Even as he thought it, a cooling breeze swept over him.

Quickly, he slid open the side door and grabbed his overnight bag. He’d come back for the other one when he was signed in and had a room. He pushed the slider closed, clicked the lock and headed for the entrance. Off to the right, waves crashed against the shore, and he wondered, idly, if the tide were going out or coming in.

He stepped inside the entrance and welcomed the chill of air conditioned comfort. He waited a moment for his eyes to adjust to the dim light then crossed to the desk, where a good-looking, dark-haired man in a crisp, white shirt looked up and smiled.

“May I help you?” the man asked in a kind voice.

“Yes, I’ve got a reservation. David Sanderson.” David dropped his bag and looked around the lobby, admiring the fireplace and the cosy seating arrangement in a semi-circle, facing it. He looked a little closer and was surprised to see it wasn’t a ‘real’ fireplace but electric or gas.

“Ah yes, here you are. Reserved for the weekend but left open for longer. I’ll need your license plate number,” the man added

David reeled it off and dug out his credit card. “I’ve heard you have an assortment of ghosts in the building.”

The man glanced at him with surprise on his face. “Excuse me?”

David handed over the plastic and waited for it to be processed. He pushed it back into his wallet and added, “I’ve read articles on Whiskers’.” He smiled. “I’m sorry, I should explain myself. I’m doing research into the paranormal, and your inn came up a number of times while I was looking for places to dig into. Hope that’s not a problem.”

At first, the handsome man appeared as if he might object, but then he replied, “It should be all right. I can’t have you disturbing my other guests, though. Any sign of trouble, and you’ll get tossed.”

David raised his hands in surrender. “I’m not here to cause any trouble, honest. I’d just like to walk around, check out the building and grounds, if that’s all right.”

It took a moment, but the man finally smiled and held out his hand. “Yeah, it’s fine. My name is Ethan Roberts. I’m the owner of the place.”

David reached forward, and they shook. “I was afraid I’d gotten off on the wrong foot. I’m really sorry if I did. I’m honestly just here to check on the paranormal incidents I’ve read about.”

“Well, Mr. Sanderson, you’re more than welcome to look around. Just let me know if you’re planning on doing anything weird. I’ll warn the ghosts.” Ethan smiled.

David grinned. “Right. If I decide to get into one of those fancy Ghostbuster outfits, I’ll yell. No problem. I’d love a beachfront room on the ground floor if you have one. It’s been a while since I was anywhere this nice, and I’d like to take full advantage, if I can.”

Ethan checked the register and said, “You’re in luck. I’ve got one left. It’s a single, but no kitchen facilities.”

“Sounds perfect. I wasn’t planning on doing any cooking. All I need is a bed, maybe a desk or table.”

“You got it, as well as a TV and bathroom.” He reached down and fumbled under the counter, at last coming up with a room key. “You’ll be in room six.”

When David had the key in hand, Ethan walked out from behind the desk and strode to the centre of the lobby. He nodded towards the hallway to their right. “Room six is three-fourths of the way down.”

David revised his opinion on Ethan’s looks, deciding he wasn’t just good-looking, he was a hunk. Tight jeans hugged his hips, and if the bulge in the man’s crotch was any indication of his size, his wife was a lucky woman. He quickly joined Ethan and peered down the long, well-lit hall. “Fine. Oh, is there a coffee maker?”

“Yes, every room has one. There should be two packets and the fixin’s, as well.”

“Great.”

Ethan had just opened his mouth to add something when two more good-looking men came into the lobby from the seaside entrance. One, a tall, bronze-skinned fellow wearing a pair of cut-off jeans and a ragged T-shirt, had dark eyes and a warm smile.

The other one captivated David’s interest. Tall with shaggy, blond hair, he sported a short, well-trimmed beard that made David’s heart skip a beat. He’d always been a sucker for facial hair. He decided the rest of the guy wasn’t bad, either. The khaki shorts and tank did little to hide the man’s body. His physique was amazing, and David’s breath caught. He wouldn’t mind getting acquainted with this hottie.

The men were talking, almost loud enough for David to make out their conversation but not quite. Unfortunately, they didn’t approach but paused and said their goodbyes. The bearded hunk veered away and walked out of the inn. David watched him until he was nearly out of sight.

The owner of the inn spoke in a cheerful voice, dragging David’s attention back inside. “Hey, Cade, I didn’t expect to see you until later.” He took a step towards the newcomer and held out his hand. Instead of shaking, as David had expected, Ethan dragged the man close and gave him a hug.

“I finished sooner than I thought I would.” The man returned the embrace then backed away, looking David squarely in the eye. “Hi, I’m Cade Wyatt, handyman and partner to this guy.” He patted Ethan on the arm affectionately.

David gaped for a moment. He wasn’t used to seeing men act so familiarly with each other, but liked it. “Nice to meet you. I’m David Sanderson. Just arrived from the interior.”

“Mr. Sanderson’s going to be doing some ghost research. He’ll be around for a few days, at least.”

Cade looked at David, a wry grin on his face. “So, our ghost stories are getting around, are they?”

David wasn’t sure if the man was trying to make fun of him or simply making conversation. Deciding to tread carefully, he replied, “It would seem so. The rumours, anyway.”

Cade nodded. “The ghosts are here. I’m sure you’ll find one or two for your research.”

David thought he was serious. He couldn’t be sure, looking into the man’s eyes. They seemed to contain a spark of mischief. A long, blond ponytail down his back bespoke a streak of independence.

BUY LINK

2 comments:

Caffey said...

Hey Jude! Its Cathie (Caffey). So great to find your blog and hear about HUNTER'S LIGHT that you wrote with Jenna Byrnes (she is a new to me author) I can't believe I missed this book (I'm behind, long story) but its so good to visit and see what I have to look forward to! I shall be putting this and the first book on my wishlist! Gosh, I love the 'Gothic' feel to this paranormal! I'm liking Hunter and David already! Congrats on the release!

Jude Mason said...

Caffey!

Hey lady, it's great to see you. Yup, Hunter's Light is very gothic and full of sexy guys. Yum! This is a fairly new series that Jenna and I have fallen in love with. We're going to be starting on the next one soon, then who knows how many more will appear. Hehehe!

Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting.

Hugs